LTKY's carbon footprint
In 2022, LTKY’s carbon footprint was calculated by a separate consulting firm. This page details the content of the completed carbon footprint calculation.
1. Basic information
- The carbon footprint has been calculated in accordance with standards according the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) protocol:
- Corporate Accounting and Reporting standard
- Corporate value chain (Scope 3) standard
- The calculation and report have not been verified by a third party.
2. The content of the calculation
- The calculation includes the following
- Scope 1: Direct emissions – production plants and owned vehicles
- Scope 2: Emissions caused by the production of purchased energy
- Scope 3
- Scope 3 includes the following:
- Purchased goods and services: Purchased services are taken into account in the calculation
- Functions of fuels and energy
- Waste generated from operations
- Business trips
3. Data and general principles
- In the calculation of the organization’s carbon footprint, the five main principles of the GHG protocol’s corporate and value chain standards have been followed in relation to the implementation of the report.
- Primary data provided by LTKY has been used in the calculation:
- Data on purchased energy
- Vehicle details
- Purchases of services
- Data on generated waste (estimated based on two-week monitoring)
- Business trips
- The emission factors used in the calculation come mainly from secondary data sources (Defra,
Ecoinvent ja GaBi Professional)
4. Impact assessment
- Under Scope 1, direct greenhouse gas emissions incurred through own operations and ownership have been included
- Scope 2 includes the indirect greenhouse gas emissions caused by the production of purchased energy
- Scope 3 includes greenhouse gas emissions caused by the company’s value chain
- Greenhouse gases that are included in the calculation are: CO2, CH4, N2O, HFCs, PFCs and SF6
Emissions are converted to CO2 equivalent using emission characterization factors
Biogenic CO2 emissions are not taken into account
The CML 2001 impact assessment method has been used to calculate the emission factors for the factors that come from the Ecoinvent and GaBi databases.
5. Scope 1, 2 and 3
- The more detailed contents of the sections are presented in the slide show that opens the calculation. The link to the slide show can be found at the end of the page. (slide show only in Finnish)
LTKY’s carbon footprint in 2021 is 47.3 t CO2 eq.
42.7% of the emissions are caused by renovating the Student Union Building basement.
The sauna and leisure facilities are not expected to need new renovations in the coming years, i.e. next year’s comparable carbon footprint would be 27 t CO2 eq without new renovations.
Direct emissions from own operations (Scope 1) were caused by LTKY’s van.
Scope 2 emissions were calculated using Finland’s average electricity emission factor, because there wasn’t certainty about the usage of green energy.